People come and go; but the land endures.
Toitu he kainga; whatu-ngarongaro he tangata.
Conservation and enhancing the environment is a massive task in New Zealand and one that everyone needs to contribute to. Project Tongariro provides an opportunity for individuals, groups, schools and businesses to be involved and to help through funding, supporting or volunteering.
Project Tongariro also helps promote an understanding and knowledge of Tongariro National Park, a dual World Heritage Area, and other special places through visits, volunteering, events, publications and assisting student research.
We work with partners to:
- Fund and deliver conservation projects
- Provide opportunities for public to engage in conservation initiatives
- Support the Department of Conservation and other conservation groups to achieve positive environmental outcomes
- Facilitate opportunities for public to discover and experience Tongariro National Park and its environs.
- Publish and sell various publications
- Provide research grants for students