Timber Trail Lodge at Pureora Forest - Members' Opportunity!!
Timber Trail Eco Lodge - Pureora Forest
Project Tongariro Member Opportunity
Kia ora Members!
After discussions with a few of you, we have accepted an invite to stay at the Timber Trail Lodge in Pureora Forest on 20th & 21st May 2017.
The following email outlines the plan for the weekend.
There is a restriction of 22 members so it is a 'first in first served' for email confirmation of your attendance. Please email Kiri here if you wish to go (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Paul Green has agreed to lead the weekend and will contact those confirming attendance with details of payment and directions to the site. Paul will provide a list of participants in case there is a chance to share transport. The cost will be $60 for the Saturday night accommodation and all meals - you will need to bring a sleeping bag/ bedding.
Lesley Mochan (Proj Tong Exec Board Member) is offering to lead a group of mountain bikers on the Friday - if anyone is interested. Please note you intent for this option when confirming with Kiri. It will be an additional $60 for the Friday night.
Email from Bruce Maunsell:
We're keen to get your members' input into our plans to set up a trust to manage the Timber Trail and develop conservation projects within Pureora.
We’d like to learn more about the projects you are involved in and how we might be able to emulate some of them at Pureora.
It would be nice to acquaint your members with the lodge.
- We are suggesting that your group arrives at the lodge by late morning on the Saturday, settles in and has lunch, and a general discussion setting the scene for the weekend.
For the afternoon we have a few ideas.
Split into small groups and work on:
- Setting up a plant nursery at the lodge - gathering and bagging seedlings. We have an area immediately around the lodge which we want to plant, and gradually expand planting to other areas around Piropiro which need it. We are planning to develop a nursery for locally sourced plants.
- Weed control – discussion and work!
- Track planning and building. We have an approx. 2km loop from the lodge through bush which we want to develop as a trap line, and a walk for our guests. It requires work to fix best route and establish it.
- Pest control – discussion around best practice and planning program.
- Discussion re other possible local conservation projects.
- You are welcome to suggest any other options you can think of.
Later in the afternoon there are options for a walk, or bike ride, perhaps to Maramataha Bridge or further afield.
Drinks & dinner
Perhaps after dinner walk to Okauwaka Stream – good opportunity to see short tailed bats.
- Discussion re establishing Pureora Timber Trail & Conservation Trust – with other locals invited.
- Possibly further work on above projects, bike rides etc.
Depart after lunch.
We’d offer a special rate of $60 per person which is less than half the normal rate. This would include two lunches, dinner, breakfast and bed. There’d need to be at least 10 participants. We can take up to 20. Participants would need to bring their own sleeping bag.
As mentioned above, there is a restriction of 22 members so it is a 'first in first served' for email confirmation of your attendance. Please email Kiri here if you wish to go (email@example.com).
We need to confirm numbers by Thursday 4th May 2017.
Kiri Te Wano
Project Tongariro Conservation Coordinator.
027 628 8009
Posted: Tue 21 Mar 2017